Thursday, July 21, 2016

after words


 “I got a much different impression of Catherine than I ever have before,” said Kate, as they drove towards town.
    “Me too,” said Merideth. “She always seemed brittle, reserved. I would not have thought she had so much feeling.”
      Kat said nothing.
     “I told you she wasn’t so bad,” said Bill.
     “Yeah but you never spent as much time with her as I did,” said Kate. “Maybe ‘cause I’m older now? Or I wonder if maybe I thought she and Jerry were the same person.”
        “Is that her brother?” asked Merideth. “They look so much alike. Are they twins?”
       “Yes,” said Kate. “And I hate him. He follows her everywhere she goes. He’s always around. Probably wanting money. Dad’s money. ”
       “What does he do?” asked Meredith.
     “That’s a New York question!” said Kate.
     “Gigolo,” said Bill.
     “No, he’s some kind of a salesman. I don’t know what. Probably doesn’t matter. If you can sell, you can sell anything.”
     “He didn’t manage to sell himself to you!” said Bill.
     Kate shuddered. Bobby pulled up across from the Surf. “”Why don’t you all get out. I’ll find someplace to park.”
      “I’ll just go back to the hotel,” said Kat.
      “Mom!”
     “I don’t know these people. It’s become pretty clear to me that I am very far removed from this part of Malcolm’s life. And I don’t think the bad fairy showing up at the christening is all that appropriate.”
     “It would be interesting to see what Catherine made of you, though,” said Meredith.  “I’d give something to be a fly on that wall.”
     “Where are you staying?” asked Bill.
     “The Manissees.”
     “I’ll come by. Lets have dinner later.”
     “When worlds collide,” Bobby said, after they all got out.
     “Yes,” said Kat. “It’s hard on everybody. Even without a murder investigation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment