Tuesday, July 19, 2016

last words


      “What was that about the ribbon?” Bill asked his sister.
      “It’s a Jewish custom,” she whispered. “I looked it up on the Internet. You’re supposed to rend your garments, but people rend a ribbon instead.”
       “We weren’t raised Jewish!”
      “I know, but Dad was. The other thing is quick burial and something about putting dirt on the coffin, but there’s no coffin. There is an urn. It’s inside the podium.”
 
      Reverend Paul looked around the assembled congregation, some of whom sat in stunned silence while others were buzzing. “Thank you, Kate,” he said. “Does anyone else want to share any memories before we close?”
       They waited.
     The widow Addams got up. “I was not planning to say anything,” she said. “I have no prepared remarks. I did not think I could get through a speech. But I have to thank Kate for saying what we are all thinking. Someone killed my husband.” She couldn’t speak for a moment. “I know many of you believe I married him for money. I did not. I married him for love, and it has only now started to sink in that I won’t see him again. Ever. In this world.” She was openly crying now. “I thought I would have many more years with him. Please, find out who did this. He was a good man, a kind man. Good to the island and to everyone who is sitting here right now. He loved you.”
       She paused for a long while to collect herself. “And he loved to entertain you. After we leave here, please come to the Surf for food and drink. Laugh and enjoy yourselves in Mac’s memory. It’s what he would like the best, not a solemn graveside ceremony.”
       Reverend Paul could see that, after all of the drama, he wouldn’t be able to hold their attention much longer. He quickly moved to the “burial” of the urn, though the marker was not yet made and the ashes were not yet inside the urn.  As he uttered the final prayers, the family left, followed by the rest of the mourners.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment