Friday, July 8, 2016

dead-eye's


     Merideth sipped her house red and watched the other two. Kat was drinking her second martini, to no visible effect. Bobby was still nursing his first draft beer.
     “So what should we do?” Kat asked.
     “We?” Merideth thought. It had become “we” awfully quickly. “I was planning to go to the service tomorrow,” she said. “After all, the poor man was killed in my yahd!
      “Or nearby, anyway,” said Bobby.
     “Well of course I’m going. That’s why I came out here! The man was my husband for twenty years, whatever happened after that.”
       “I imagine Kate will want me to come with her,” said Bobby.
       “She has her brother,” said Merideth.
       “Well we’ll see,” said Bobby.
      “The kids are going to faint,” said Kat. “I’ll try to stay in the background.”
      “And then what?” Merideth looked at her.
       Kat toyed with the lobster tail she hadn’t eaten but a bite or two of.  Probably rubbery, Merideth figured. Nobody in town could cook a decent lobster.
     “I don’t know. I’ll have to figure it out as I go along. I just want some kind of closure.”
       “That will be difficult to attain if we don’t figure out who killed your ex husband,” said Merideth.

No comments:

Post a Comment